Sunday, October 11, 2009

Whining and Dining (pt. 2)

Starting this at 02:10 a.m. as I am -and unless any astrophysicists have an objection- I am for the first and only time, exactly 24 years old. I was born in Oakland, CA on the 11th of October 1985 at, you guessed it, ten past two in the morning. Bravo monkey, you can read! 24 years later, I find myself in the same timezone as the one I was born, for the first time since my 1st birthday...

Τα γενέθλια στην Αμερική είναι μεγάλο ντήλι. Δεν είχα ποτέ πλήρη αίσθηση όσο ήμουν στην Ελλάδα του πόσο ασήμαντα είναι για εμάς. Τους Έλληνες λέω. Εμείς δίνουμε περισσότερη βάση στις ονομαστικές εορτές; Κάτι τέτοιο έχω ακουστά. Μη με ρωτάτε, δεν ξέρω. Εγώ πήγαινα δουλειά αμέριμνος -δίχως γλυκά- 25 Απριλίου κι υπόλοιποι με ενημέρωναν, κοιτώντας με με στραβό μάτι...

What are you looking at? What d'you wanna know? What have I been doing the past 23 years? It's been eventful, I'll be honest. Which is also why I can't say that this is the best story that will ever be told. But it is a good one. There's sex and intrigue and drugs and backstabbing. So far no murders. But we're working on that. The world keeps trying to piss me off on a daily basis.

Και πως είναι που τώρα, εδώ που 'ναι μπιγκ ντήαλ, δεν είμαι εγώ; Πως είναι που δεν είσαστε εδώ εσείς; Που δεν πρόκειται ούτε να βγω, ούτε να πιω, ούτε και να μεθύσω; Θα 'θελα να μπω στην πρίζα και να τα κάνω κομμάτια, δεν μπορώ να πω. Αν έπεφταν μερικά μαδερφάκερ δε θα ήταν άσχημο. Κι αν πάλι τύχαινε να καθόμουν απ 'έξω από μια εκκλησία -σαν παπάς με το αγαπημένο του θυμιατό- μαζί με όλη μου την ενορία, δε θα με πείραζε.

Nobody walks in L.A., they say, but I do. And I see others walking. There are people in the streets! Honest. I don't think they're going anywhere, just on strolls. You'd be mad to want to walk to somewhere in this town. But I do. And I'm not mad. Not crazy/mad. Yes, the angry kind, some times and often. But I won't pretend to be mad-mad. There's only sanity here and too much of it. Too much thought and gravitas. Like a LiveJournalist that forgot to do his whining in his teens.

Πόσες φορές έχουμε πει να σταματήσουμε να γκρινιάζουμε; Και πόσες φορές έχουμε πει πώς έιναι αναγκαίο; "Μη σταματάς να γκρινιάζεις, σταμάτα να γκρινιάζεις που γκρινιάζεις." Το βλέπω σαν μπροστά μου: ένα παράπονο που ξεκινάει ένρινο και μελαγχολικό. Με κάθε τζιν που ανοίγει, γλυκαίνει από την πίκρα. Ξημερώματα περνάμε από τα Μακ.

At 24, I have these weird huge pores at the end of my nose that threaten to engulf it. My body hair is sneakily spreading its way across new terrain. A decade of unruly strings rests on each shoulder, mocking me with their slim but distinct presence. I got a haircut today. The for the head kind. I'm disappointed.

Δεν έχει να φάω μαστέλο με μέλι. Ή, και να'χει, έρχεται σε διπλή μερίδα - που να το βάλω τόσο σουσάμι; Μη μιλήσεις! Μην πεις τίποτα! Και πάνω απ' όλα μη με γαργαλήσεις, θα σε γαμήσω.

I'm fuckless and friendless. My body is preemptively decomposing -gotta catch up on death, always in a rush. And I don't have the hair that I do want!

Θέλω ένα ακόμα μεσημέρι, απ' έξω από το Μπενάκη. Θα αργήσεις, θα καεί ο κώλος μου στο μέταλλο, να σε περιμένω κάτω από εκείνο το τετοιακί που 'ναι σα φανάρι και γυρίζει, ξέρεις.

I spent today with my 15-year-old cousin. We went to the cinema, we ate concession stand and frozen and microwave foods, we played video games and watched TV all day. Whoop-de-doo, I hear you say?

Πως μύριζε η ανάσα σου όταν ερχόσουν ξημερώματα στο δωμάτιο...

Well, I liked it! The Invention of Lying was a little stroke of brilliance. Pretzels and Mac & Cheese and chocolate brownie ice cream bonbons, Castle Crashers and Alien Hominid are an astounding accompaniment. And if you don't understand this, if you don't get this at all, you don't have to. I do. (But, really, how can you deny Spaced)?

Αυτό το καλοκαίρι μπορεί να μην άφησε Έλλη Κοκκίνου (αγάπη μου) ως σάουντρακ αλλά έφερε κάτι καλύτερο. Όχι, δε λέω το Δεσποινάκι και ΥΠΑΡΧΕΙ ΖΩΗ (ΤΟΥΡΟΥ ΡΟΥ ΡΟΥ) στη διαπασών, προς Αλλού Φαν Παρκ και Επίδαυρο εξίσου. Κατάλαβα τα πάντα.

At 24, I have no shame. None in playing the games, none in burning in them, none whining and dining to my heart's gluttonous content. I'm single and, for the first time in my adult life, I don't feel the crippling need to not be. I've left my home again -this time we're going for "for good"- and behind people that I wouldn't call friends but family. And you can start laughing now, because, I'm not taking it back. Because the most important thing I learnt all summer (and these 24 years) was this feeling. That thing I ridiculed before, this earnestness, the belief in some sort of magic.

Λυπάμαι αν σε πλήγωσα. Ιδιαίτερα επειδή ξέσπασα πάνω σου, επειδή έβλεπες τα πράματα αντίθετα από 'μενα, επειδή με θύμωνες, επειδή μου θύμιζες πως δεν είναι ο κόσμος.

Let's not get retarded. Any kind of magic I believe in is strictly metaphorical. But it is real. The fact that this is my voice, doesn't bother me. It's treacly sentimental still but I'm getting better. I'm learning and I'm growing and I change. The haircut will never be an ICON haircut but I'll go back and tell them better what I want. Hairy situations? Wax on / wax off. Bad puns? My bread and butter! As for the pores? Eh. Can't have everything. It's not that I couldn't be happier, but I am perfectly happy.

Σκεφτόμουν μήπως ήρθε η ώρα να κάνω κι εγώ δέυτερο τατού. Θέλω να σημαίνει κάτι που, κι όταν κρεμάσουν τα πάντα- θα κρατήσει, όπως σου 'λεγα. Έλα όμως που Κυψέλη-Καρύτση-Καλλιθέα κάνουν ένα επικύνδυνα ΚΚΚ σχέδιο. Μην ξεχνάμε και που είμαι. Είπαμε, δεν μπορείς να τα έχεις όλα.

Finishing this at 04:59 a.m. as I am -and unless any astrophysicists still have objections- I am for the first and only time, exactly 24 years, 2 hours and 49 minutes old. I'm back in the States for the first time since I was born. I'm finally studying screenwriting and at UCLA, at that. I am, for all intents and purposes, a Greek bumpkin, seeing this world for the first time. On the flipside -Remember the flipside? This is the flipside!- I'm also an American coming home. It's a new day, either way.

Aν θεωρήσουμε ότι κάθε χρόνος είναι μία ώρα από 24ωρο, μόλις ξεκίνησε η επόμενη μέρα. Κουίζ! Ποιός το 'πε αυτό το ωραίο; Μις Μπήβερχαουζεν; Κερ του γκες;

To move forward one must look back. That's a thing too. Someone's said something like it, at least... I think. Well, welcome to my train-of-thought regression therapy. This blog, where most the contents of my brain spill out for everyone to see and no one to care about. (Twitter is not enough). Join me as I figure out the States, and look back on the fun and fucked up shit that brought me here. There will be lots of writing and I can only promise it will get better from here.

Με άλλα λόγια:

Welcome to the rest of your life, enjoy every minute of it. My ma said that one. And, really guys, that's quite a cool thing for a mom to say.


No comments:

Post a Comment