Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Pilot

Imagine my consternation when I woke up at 15:00 to find drool on my laptop. Along with it was my face, plastered to the little exhaust surface at the top. On the screen were a Facebook tag and a Twitter tag and a hotmail tag and a gmail tag... all evidence of the people I've left behind and how they care. Just like a warm hug from Teh Internets themselves.

Αυτή τη στιγμή είμαι στη Αλταντήνα της Πασαντήνα. Η Πασαντήνα είναι ολίγον τι πιο κυριλέ από εκεί που θα μένω εγώ (Σάντα Μόνικα) κι ίσως από τα κυριλέστερα μη διασήμων μέρη εδώ πέρα. Η Αλταντήνα είναι η Εκάλη κι η Πασαντήνα τα Βριλήσσια, σου λέει. Η Σάντα Μονικα ελπίζω ν'αντιστοιχεί σε κάνα Εξάρχειο ή Κυψέλη αλλά θα δούμε - δεν το έχω ρωτήσει ακόμα. Α, και όλες αυτές οι Ντήνες κι Αγίες Μόνικες είναι στο Λος Άντζελες, της γνωστής Αμερικής...

Looking at the mirror, in the bathroom, I examined the polka dot pattern the computer had left on my face. Along with the classic tangled-in-sheets lines criss-crossing my body it might make for a cool new look, I thought. Then some quick peeing math led me to realise that -while 3 o'clock in the afternoon in Greece- it was actually 5 a.m. here in Altadena, California. And I was back in bed quicker than you can say "jet lag".

Δεν έχω πάει ακόμα σπίτι μου (ή εκεί που θα γίνει σπίτι μου, τέλος πάντων). Από τη στιγμή που ξύπνησα, πριν δυο ώρες, κάθομαι και απαντάω μέηλ και κάνω τηλέφωνα και στέλνω μηνύματα. Έχω φάει μια τσίχλα. Ακόμα δε μου 'χει κάτσει το που είμαι. Εκτός από το ότι πράγματι τα πράγματα είναι πραγματικά τε-ρά-στια εδώ δεν έχω προλάβει να ανακαλύψω κάτι άλλο. Ή λίστα με αυτά που πρέπει να κάνω είναι αντίστοιχα γιγαντιαία. Όπως τα συζητούσαμε με τη Θεία Τζο χθες βράδυ, επιστρέφοντας από τα αεροδρόμιο, μπορώ να πω πως ναι: έκλασα λίγο πάνω μου.

But the exhaustion and the anxiety of newness and all the bureaucratic errands that I will have to undertake are out of focus this morning. The scary amount of stuff to do simply pales in comparison to the L.A. sky line. From my bedroom window I can see the Los Angeles Crest. So, I think it might be time to go to the garden and have breakfast and maybe then step out of the yard, perhaps even start to explore. Because, when outside looks like this:

Photobucket

What is it really that one's waiting for?

ΥΓ. Ότι πέταξα Λονδίνο με την Άννα Βίσση το ξέρετε όλοι; Πολύ όμορφη από κοντά. Μου έκανε μεγάλη έκπληξη. Και πλαστική φαίνεται μόνο κατά 70%!

No comments:

Post a Comment